Thursday, December 10, 2009

Pasta E Fagoli


***Edit***
I decided that since this was the first recipe I ever posted here that it deserved a reposting with pictures. In these pictures I cooked this in the crockpot and used partially frozen ground beef, so just know that you have that option too (of not browning the meat). I also used my own spaghetti sauce made out of tomato paste, v8 juice, and spices, and it still tasted good!  ;o)
Here is the recipe for Pasta e Fagoli. It's supposed to be a copycat of the soup at Olive Garden, but I've never had it so I can't tell you how it compares. I just think this stuff is pretty good! It makes quite a bit so either have it for guests or freeze. :-)

Pasta e Fagoli (makes about 6 quarts)

1 lb. ground beef
1 small onion, diced
1/2 of a small 1 lb. bag of baby carrots, chopped
5 stalks of celery, diced
2 (14.5 oz.) cans of diced tomatoes
1 can red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1 can white beans, drained and rinsed
1 (32 oz.) carton + 1 (14.5 oz.) can of beef broth (If you like a more brothy soup add more, I made up about 50 oz of broth.)
1 1/2 tsp oregano
11/4 tsp pepper
2 1/2 tsp fresh parsley, chopped (I used dry)
3/4 tsp tabasco sauce
1 jar (1 lb. 10 oz.) spaghetti sauce
1 cup dry small pasta (such as ditalini or elbow macaroni)
salt to taste


Brown ground beef. Drain if necessary. Add onion, carrot, celery and diced tomatoes. Simmer 10 minutes. Add beans, beef broth, oregano, pepper, parsley, tabasco sauce and spaghetti sauce.Simmer soup on low for about 30-45 minutes until carrots are almost tender.Add pasta to pot and simmer on low for about 15-30 minutes until pasta is just shy of al dente. As the soup cools, the pasta will absorb the broth. You can cook the pasta separate and add it to the soup after the soup has cooled.
(I browned the meat, pureed the onion and celery and added everything but the noodles and put it in a crockpot. Added the noodles to the crockpot about an hour before eating.)







All ingredients in the crockpot except noodles, cook for atleast 4-5 hours



Add the noodles about 1/2 hr to an hour before eating.

3 comments:

TheBakerHalfDozen said...

Hey, what is the 3rd ing supposed to be? It says 1/2 of a small and that's it :D

Annette said...

Hey, I just barely saw your comment. Apparently it was 1/2 of a 1 lb bag of carrots and I had a space there. I fixed it, but atleast nothing was left out, someone just may have had lots of carrots in their soup.

Unknown said...

I'm going to have to try this soon. I've had Olive Garden's and it was pretty good - like a chili but with noodles added in. :)

Similar Recipies

Blog Widget by LinkWithin