Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Posolé

I got this recipe from a friend after she cooked it for us, and so I've been wanting to make it for quite awhile. I'm embarrassed to admit that it was a lot harder for me to find dried red chilies than I thought it would be. There were so many options (Big, fat, long, small, skinny, etc...) and everything was in Spanish. Eeek. Anyway, I just grabbed something and hoped for the best.

Posolé
4-6 pieces of chicken (Cook and shred)
6-9 dried red chilies (clean seeds and stems off)
3 cans of Posolé (hominy)
10 cubes or 10 tsp of chicken boullion
pinch of Cumin
pinch of Cajon seasoning
pinch of lemon pepper
White onion
Green Cabbage
Radishes
Lime Juice

-Fill soup pan of water 3/4 full.
-Add chicken and boil until cooked. Shred chicken and put back into water.
-In separate pot boil the red chilies until soft and then puree with a little bit of water and then add to the water and chicken.
-Add the hominy
-Add seasonings (to taste)
Cook until the hominy is soft and top with shredded green cabbage, chopped white onion, chopped radishes that were tossed with lime juice.

I made this a little different and added the onion, radishes, and cabbage in the soup to be cooked and I liked it a lot better, but either way it's pretty good stuff!

Boil the chicken
The Chilies (take out the stems and seeds)
Boil the skins until soft
Shred the Chicken (and this is where I decided to move to the crockpot)
I used these seasonings and I didn't have any Cajon Seasoning.
Add the Chicken Boullion
I added the skins prematurely because Aidan was taking a nap so I didn't want to wake him by pureeing them. I pulled them out later.
Add the Hominy (Pasole')
A bunch of Radishes
Pureeing the skins
I chopped up the Radishes (I pureed some onion too)
Cut up some Cabbage. I threw everything in the crockpot and let it cook for a few hours.
It turned out REALLY good!

No comments:

Similar Recipies

Blog Widget by LinkWithin